I wasted a couple of hours trying to install Ubuntu 11.04 (natty) on my new Macbook Air mid 2011. Eventually got it to work:
- In OSX, avoid turning on File Vault, shrink OSX partition and prepare a new partition for Ubuntu using the disk tool.
- Install rEFIt (http://refit.sourceforge.net/)
- dd this file to a usb stick, it is a version of the standard Ubuntu Desktop ISO modified using mkisohybrid.
- Reboot with the USB stick plugged in and choose it in the rEFIt boot menu.
- At the first Ubuntu boot screen press F6 (or any key?) to see boot options, tick nomodeset.
- Go through the installation process
- Reboot and in grub, edit kernel command line to contain nomodeset. (Can be done permanently by editing /etc/default/grub and then running update-grub).
- apt-get install grub-efi (I have this, maybe grub-pc is fine too?)
Enjoy your new toy!
(2 kommentarer, senast 2011-09-23 11:33)